Sunday, September 10, 2017

New Poem: "Underage Drinking"


A new poem for class (first draft, just like the last one)




Underage Drinking

At twelve I had my first taste
A bottle of Jack in leather
With hair like honey bourbon
It bit and stung but still I drank it up

I was hot blood, head dizzy,
An alcoholic animal
Fighting blindly
For a taste of forbidden fruit on the tongue.

At fifteen I thought was ready
To hold spiced rum
Warm in my heart
To sing songs to Bacchus and Smirnoff

With lips like liqueur
Spilling over my glass
I gorged on the taste
Of bitters dulled in rich fruit flavors

At four I tripped in the morning mist
Alone, groping for home
Mouth open to find
The last dregs in my cup all drunk up

A churning, fermented ocean
Rising in my belly
The sweet turning sour
And drunken memories wretched up on the floor



This poem is property of Lissa Fulton and may not be used without written permission from the author

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Been A While

Hi friends, it's been a while. Somehow, by the grace of God I managed to get through this semester in one piece, and with a dec...